Monday, May 25, 2009
Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage
1 Large cabbage
1 to 1/2 lbs Ground beef or pork
1 1/4 cups Long grain white rice
salt to taste
pepper to taste
Red Hungarian Paprika - A MUST
3 Large fresh garlic cloves pressed or more if desired
1 Onion - grated into meat mixture
2 Smoked Ham hock or 1/4 lb smoked beef neck bones or smoked Hungarian sausage
1 Bottle Saurkraut - rinse alittle right before adding so it's not too sour.
2 small cans of tomato paste - mix both cans with enough water to cover entire pot of stuffed cabbage for cooking.
Oil and flour for the roux
1. Remove core from the cabbage. Separate the leaves and boil them uncovered for 5 minutes or until soft enough to roll. Dry and reserve liquid.
2. Combine the meat, rice, spices, and eggs, mix well with your hands. Lay out a leaf of cabbage and center about 2 tablespoons of meat. Fold up sides and roll up ends to seal each roll. Continue with all the meat and cabbage.
3. To fill the pot, start with a layer of that chopped up cabbage mixed with sauerkraut. Then place the stuffed cabbage. Add another layer of chopped cabbage and sauerkraut on top of that, then another layer of stuffed cabbage. Keep going like this until you run out of stuffed cabbage, and add a final layer of chopped cabbage and sauerkraut on top.
4. Add the tomato saft, the smoked pork and the water to just cover the contents of the pot. Cook on simmer for one and half hour or until rice is tender.
5. Make a roux. (Ingredients for roux: 1 tablespoon of oil, 1 tablespoon of flour, paprika )
6. Serve with sour cream.